Friday, September 28, 2012

"i LIKE TO SEE THEM AGAIN PLEASE"


   The following messages appeared in my inbox around 5 this morning:

  "Do you still have those picture of the shadows from the caves of wind that were on the TV show My ghost story's? I like to run some test on them..Hope your the same team.."

   "I like to see your pictures of the shadows..I like to run some filter test please.. Are you 100% sure they are not your own reflections from flash on cave walls..? i LIKE TO SEE THEM AGAIN PLEASE."


   This man professed to have several degrees under his belt, despite his grammar, and I at first harbored some suspicion that this may have been a new and creative form of spam or phishing scam.  Perhaps I was just bored, but I decided to reply.  His emails then became increasingly belligerent to the point of him challenging me to "BRING IT ON!"  The following was my response to him, after which I have never seen a top blown so violently since Eyjafjallajökull in 2010.  It was beautifully destructive, though we did have to block him from various channels.  We hope he has since found the sedation he requires and we thank him for helping us come up with this week's blog.   

  
   Hello, Mr. Underwood, my name is Christopher.  I am the founder of our team and I'd be happy to address your concerns ( you were up pretty early today weren't you? ).

   I'm not sure which "shadows" you're referring to.  You mentioned running a test of some kind on them.  Are you a scientist, or do you have some degree involving visual media?

     You claim that we might have somehow taken photos of our reflections on the cave wall / were we sure we did not.  Having done this for several years ( my first investigation actually occurred at age 12 in 1985 ) and applying the same caution, consideration and detective work as any other team in the field, we're obviously pretty sure we weren't photographing our shadows.  There is a photo of ours which a producer from My Ghost Story did not highlight correctly, but that would have been explained in the blog you just read ( if you were thorough and didn't just skip to the juicy bits).

   However, while we're on the subject of "detectives", we understand it takes more than a business shirt and a tie to make one.  As you were not in the caves with us at the time, you couldn't possibly have experienced what we did ( and we have been to these caves on many occasions ).  There is quite a tired trend in the paranormal field ( thanks to the many programs on television these days and their copycat viewers ) where "detectives" have taken it upon themselves to debunk or disprove the supernatural-appearing photographs of others.  While I think there is a much better use of one's time ( say, actually working as a forensic analyst ), I don't understand the appeal of such a hobby.

   If one doesn't believe in supernatural phenomena from the start, I can understand why they'd feel a need to tidy things up in their own little universe by branding anything otherworldly as "shadows" or "swampgas".  If they're trying to inflate their egos by putting down the work and genuine research of others, well, that's just sad.  It is an act which has become very prevalent these days as throes of bored individuals have decided to police paranormal investigation teams in hopes of making the world a better place, free of dust orbs and shadows on walls.

   For some reason, there is also a need for others to attempt to take away the wondrous and inexplicable experiences of others, to sterilize them for public safety.  This often happens as a result of jealousy from the observer who does not experience such things himself, and therefore must claim no one else does, either.  Again, there's a much better use of one's time.  Firstly, I'd actually visit the Cave Of The Winds Facebook page ( one of the first steps I'd have taken as a "detective" ) to surmise whether or not other guests were reporting the same phenomena ( and several have, you may wish to view the several other photos which guests have left on their wall over time ).  When someone has to go out of their way to disprove the personal experience of another individual, or to tell them they were mistaken in their perception of such an experience, it's called trolling.  Now, I doubt you'd consider yourself a "troll" or a "hater" as much as I'd doubt we were in a cave photographing our shadows for fun.

   As you haven't properly introduced yourself, provided me with any professional credentials, and made a number of grammatical errors in  your emails to me, I'm going to assume you don't have the time, tools or interest to properly "test" anything.  It is my firmest belief that anything we might share with you would then become victim to your own personal perception, whether you label them as shadows or smoke.  I doubt it matters what you see, as you already have your empirical stamp at the ready, so I'll save us some time.  You are always welcome to come to America and visit the cave yourself before criticizing the validity of another, but it's all so armchair now, isn't it?  It's so much easier to just cut to the chase and jump on someone's investigation with your labelmaker set to "swampgas".

   Well, it's been fun.  But you know, these days there is no limit to all the ghost hunting teams out there just waiting to hear from you!  If you're still bored ( having made it this far ), why don't you go and knock on their doors?  Because we are a little preoccupied having wondrous and inexplicable experiences that other people can't take away from us.  They are ours, and we are entitled to react to them in any way we wish.  We believe in them and we support them 100%.  These weren't the first of such experiences, either, because our perception has broadened year after wondrous year of looking for them, and we will continue to do so long after you have afforded a proper business suit.

   If you're still hungry, why not take a course in forensics or try something that will actually have a positive benefit for both parties involved?  I think our team has a little too much backbone for you, and those are very hard to spit out, even in Thronaby On Tees.  Still, I hope I was in someway helpful, and we will always look forward to the new and interesting ideas you may have on how we actually experienced the things we did.

   Take care now,

   - Christopher Allen Brewer ( The SpiritChasers ), September 28th, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment